Wednesday, March 21, 2012

The Davis Farewell Tour 2012-Extended One Final Week!

You're still here? Haven't you left yet? I thought they left a while ago?
Those seem to be the FAQs lately! Yes we are still here. No we haven't left yet!
BUT we are close! We have ticked off all the things to do on Pete's very detailed Excel spreadsheet he created back in October and are ready to go. We have marched past all the MAJOR hurdles in the past month and we are ALL exhausted!

  1. Pete finally made it to London after his 4 day British Airway fiasco
  2. I packed up house and movers came for 2 days to pack and load it up
  3. Sold my car
  4. Sold our house
  5. Packed suitcases for the 3 of us for the next 6 weeks
  6. Attended many goodbye GNOs, one goodbye gymnastics party, one bowling party for Henry and his friends, a stay in a hotel with May and Henry's BFFs
  7. Packed up Pete's 1994 Land Cruiser with all luggage, ski stuff, bikes and a couple of rifles and DROVE THAT OLD GIRL to Sun Valley - drive from hell. Great weather but very uncomfortable car to drive



8. Spent a lovely week in SV skiing with the kids and hanging out with our family. Saw my folks, my brother and nephew, my mother in law, brother and sister in law and more cousins and nieces and nephews! It was excellent! The weather was gorgeous and we had some great spring skiing!




9. I flew to London from SV to meet Pete and house hunt. Spent a week looking at some real stinkers but we eventually found the one! We found a 5 bedroom, 3.5 bathroom house in the town of Twyford. It is situated between Henley on the Thames and Marlow. 5 minute walk to the train, schools and town. 30 minute train ride to London and an 8 minute train ride to Pete's office. Across the street are 5 lakes with trails all around them for mountain biking and walking. The schools are excellent!. Pete and I had a great time throughout the week. We had several great meals, we walked a ton, finished setting up our banking, toured the schools and DROVE his new car! It was delivered the week I was there and the first day we just sat in it and played with the navigation system. We drove it around the block one time each and then it sat in the garage for 4 days. On Sunday morning, early before anyone was out, we took it out for a spin. We drove it to our new town and on a semi busy road. Pete did great and then it was my turn. My stomach was in knots the entire time and my hands were sore from gripping the steering wheel so tight! But I did it and I know I can do it so watch out England! We also were able to take the train into London for night at a hotel, dinner with the fabulous Grimsteads and saw Wicked on Saturday!


 10. After the nerve racking driving morning, I flew back to Seattle (after a 5 hour delay and a plane change on British Air-not winning points for the Davis family).  My rock star MOM put the kids on their first solo plane trip from Boise to Seattle the next day! They did great. All sugared up at 10 AM as I think they ate all the candy they got at the candy store on the flight and Henry had a Coke too. Oh well. They made it safe and sound.

 So finally finishing up the week, seeing friends, tying up the last loose ends and saying goodbye.




 View from our flat in Maidenhead

 Super cute pub in Wargrave on the Thames - 10 minute drive from Twyford

View from the super cute pub. Apparently we can join the Wargrave Boating Club for the summer and have use of their canoes, kayaks, skiffs and punts (I don't know what that is?) Why didn't I bring my SUP ??


We leave on Friday. This is it. The Farewell Tour is over. See you in London.

4 comments:

  1. Love it! So exciting....have a great time tonight. Farewell my friend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ok what is UP with British Airways?! A big "BA" to them.

    Love the adventure so far. LOVE the house. Love the lakes. Changing mind to bring SUP? Miss you already!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh and great photos...wish I had picked a blog site that allowed visuals more easily.

    ReplyDelete
  4. And yet...the captchas on this site are super annoying. I..am...not...a....robot.

    ReplyDelete